Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Prey for a swift end! The Nurgle conversion for Maulerfiend

Insects have always been a prevalent theme in the world of Nurgle.  Normally flies are the name of the game, but I've never felt like it was mutually exclusive.  For many years I've been experimenting with the form of the Preying Mantis, using it for models such as Daemon Princes or the like.  Often when a good conversion takes root in your mind, your aren't so much designing it as discovering it, letting your imagination run wild as your fingers meander through your bits box in search of the perfect piece to fit the bill or plug the gap.  

It's worth noting that other than the head of this beastie, this model is 100% GW bits.  Although there are a few insectoid heads in the GW range, nothing was quite large enough.  Once primed, this head will gel nicely with the rest of the figure. 

 In retrospect, I probably would have dropped the 2nd set of arms (the crushing claws).  Feel a little busy now.  But at the time, I was just in love with the crushing claws and caught up in the moment I pinned them on without a thought. 

I was channeling the old Mantisaur figure from the MOTU range while building this abomination.  I think overall I got the right feel, though perhaps a few antennae would help fill this figure out just a bit.  Not that it needs it . . . it barely fits on the required 90x120 base intended for the maulerfiend as is! 

Love it or hate it, you've got to admit it make  an impression.  Imagine the limbs, dripping with gore and bile putrescence eeking out of every postule when fully painted. 

My name is Caleb and I am the owner of White Metal Games, a miniature painting and assembly service in Raleigh, NC.  Be sure to check out our site and stroll through our gallery, which were currently in the process of building.

Also be sure to email us with any questions, comments, or if you'd like a quote for services!  We're always happy to shoot the breeze with a fellow hobbyist! 


Caleb, WMG

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Death from Above! Chaos Daemon Prince of Tzeentch mini-diorama

Greetings fellow wargamers!  This daemon prince was the result of a lazy Saturday morning when my creative juices were flowing and I needed an outlet for them through plastic.    Over time the studio bits box has gotten pretty extensive, and I like to keep track of what I have available to work with.  I happened upon a pair of lower legs from a Fell Beast that I had used a few years ago and just had this idea to have them wrapped around the flying assault marine in mid descent.  But then I had to ask myself who these legs belonged . . .
Scale wise I knew I was looking at a daemon prince, which I LOVE to build.  So I started looking around for other suitable bits to play with.  These wings are from the Chimera kit, which is a treasure trove of bits for the price.  The torso is the standard DP kit, with the exception of a hive tyrant tail that I had lying around.  The head is from the spawn range.

I used pins to attach the marine to the avians feets and in turn the marine to the terrain via a similar rod.  The effect is meant to confer that the two are in the middle of an aerial battle, with the assault marine on the losing end.
Of course, extensive weights were used to balance the model via the base, but the model is remarkably centrally weighted.  It helps to have a good core to work around, so I tried to keep things as close to the center of the base, weight wise, as I could. 

Be sure to check out more of our selected models at White Metal Games. And until then PUT YOUR MINIS WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS! 


Friday, March 1, 2013

40k Khorne Lord on Juggernaut, Get Medieval on your enemies a*&!

Greetings fellow wargamers! 

Presented to you here is a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut.  This was a fun if straightforward conversion.  I realized the other day there hasn't been an official Chaos Lord on Juggernaut for 40k since the old days of 4th edition.  As such I felt it was time for an update. 

I used the regular Warhammer Chaos Lord on Juggernaut from the fantasy range for the base figure.  Most folks use the Blood Crusher kit, but I liked the lord from this kit so much I really wanted to try to utilize as much of the kit as possible.  I kept the original models lower body because I liked the look of the leggings.  For the upper body I used a dremmel to burr out the original torso and insert a Khornish marine torso into the now vacant chest cavity. 

The right arm was swapped with a bolt pistol arm.  A backpack bit was added and fur was sculpted up to hide the gap.  For the helmet, we used an old Kharne helmet we had lying around and swapped the very well know mask with this elongated skull bit.  I think it gives him a really medieval feel, which works really well for the Blood God. 

White Metal Games is a full service miniature assembly and painting service.  Contact us to inquire about a commission.  And until then . . .

Caleb, WMG